Since being organized into its modern iteration 36 years ago, the Screven County Chamber of Commerce has served as the voice of business for Screven County. Today’s Chamber is committed to building a strong local economy by promoting, strengthening and enhancing the businesses of Screven County. Our staff, volunteers and board of directors thrive on the challenges of helping our members succeed. Whether you are a budding entrepreneur, a small business owner, or an executive of a major enterprise, the Screven County Chamber of Commerce can provide a host of resources to meet your needs.
The Chamber sponsors a number of business and economic development seminars throughout the year, hosts Business After Hours and Business and Breakfast programs, sponsors the Drugs Don’t Work program for small businesses, and represents local business interests at the state and regional levels. We also work to foster an environment friendly to business growth and development in our community. We are a member of the Georgia Chamber of Commerce and the US Chamber of Commerce, as well as being an Entrepreneur Friendly Community, A Georgia Work Ready Community, and having a strong Leadership Screven program.
Please explore the rest of our site for further information regarding the Screven County Chamber of Commerce and our community.
The Dell Goodall House
The Goodall home is located about six miles north of Sylvania on U. S. Highway 301. The house was built in 1815 for Seaborn Goodall, a prominent Jacksonborough citizen, who was clerk of Superior Court.
Jacksonborough was at that time the county seat of Screven County. The survival of the house is significant because it is the only structure left standing in Old Jacksonborough. According to history, this is due to a curse placed upon the town by Lorenzo Dow, an itinerant Methodist minister, who was run out of town by the “Rowdies.” After being befriended by Seaborn Goodall, who gave Dow shelter for the night, the minister stopped on the bridge the next morning and asked God to place a curse upon the town with the exception of the Goodall home.
Within 20 years the town had ceased to exist. There were unexplained fires, mysterious winds that ripped roofs from houses, flash floods that emanated from the usually quiet creek. The curse was fulfilled by a variety of means, and the county seat was moved to Sylvania in 1847 after the town was virtually deserted. After 1870 the Goodall house belonged to the family of Dr. Julian P. Dell of Savannah, a retired Methodist Minister and has come to be known as the Dell-Goodall home.
The sturdy frame edifice was made of hand-hewed logs, with matched shoulders and hand-whittled peg construction. The Georgia pine used by the builder toughened long ago to rock-hardness. The house may be viewed down a long avenue of moss-draped trees. It was a handsome house at one time with gracious proportions and pleasing landscaping. General Sherman camped at the Goodall house overnight in his famous march to the sea.
The house was restored by the Brier Creek Chapter of the DAR.
In 1812, Samuel Manor founded the historic Wade Plantation. Manor was a revolutionary soldier and after the war, he moved from North Carolina to South Carolina. Here he met George and Mary Williamson and from them he purchased 2,523 acres of land on the Savannah River on the Georgia side. Maner moved to his Screven County property and named his new home Lebanon Forest.
Samuel Maner built his home on the same place that the current Wade Plantation house is located. Maner was a faithful Methodist and he opened his home to traveling Methodist preachers. His daughter Sarah met and married one of these preachers, the Rev. John Crawford.
Around 1816, Samuel Manor passed away and Sarah and John inherited the Georgia plantation. John Crawford passed away a few years after this. He and Sarah did not have any children. Sarah then married another Methodist preacher, the Rev. Peyton Lisby Wade. Sarah passed away without having any children and the Rev. Wade married her niece, Elizabeth Robert. Together they expanded their property to over 10,000 acres.
Peyton and Elizabeth raised eleven children Peyton passed on in 1866 and left everything to Elizabeth and their children. After Elizabeth passed on, the Wade Plantation went to their seventh child, Jesse Turpin Wade.
Jesse Wade was born on Wade Plantation in 1851. He was educated at and graduated from the Virginia Military Institute. As master of Wade Plantation he was called Captain Wade, his rank in the local Screven County militia. At the age of 36 he married Elizabeth Jones.
In 1844 the original plantation home built by Samuel Maner burned to the ground. Captain Wade built a new home using timber cut and sawed on Wade Plantation. Under Captain Wade's guidance, Wade Plantation grew and ginned their own cotton. Captain Wade built a plant on the plantation in which the cotton seed was converted into oil and meal. Fertilizer for new crops was also prepared in this plant. He had a railroad constructed on the plantation to transport his cotton to the Savannah river where steamboats waited to take the loads to Savannah.
Captain Wade sold the train and the railroad iron to the U.S. government in 1917. The train and iron was loaded onto barges at Burton's Ferry landing and taken to the Argonne Forest for the army's use at the end of WWI.
The Wade family owned and operated Wade Plantation until 1954 when it passed out of their hands.